Saturday

Chicken and Dressing {Featured in a Month Full of Recipes}


I'm from the South, so this is southern dressing, not stuffing.

*For the cornbread I just just follow the directions on the back of the cornmeal package with one exception. I pour some oil in an iron skillet and put in the oven and let it get hot--really hot. Then I pour the batter in the skillet and cook for the allotted amount of time that the package says.

*I boil my chicken on top of the stove, so that I can make my own stock. I put my chicken in a pot cover it with water--maybe about 3 inches above the chicken--cook until done.

*Chop one onion and cook in stock (in a different pan) until the onions are translucent.

*Break cornbread apart and pour 1/2 of your stock on top of your cornbread, stir together.

*Add onions, and one can of cream of celery soup. Stir together, add salt and pepper to taste.

**Let it sit for a few minutes, you are letting the bread soak up the stock.

*Add more stock, stir and let sit

*Add more stock if needed--you should be able to see puddles of stock through out your mixture. This will keep your dressing from drying out.

*Add butter on top to help brown it...like in the picture above.

*Cook in oven at 350 degrees for at least 30 minutes or longer, just until brown around the edges.

*Enjoy

**You can also substitute turkey for the chicken or not put any meat in it at all---either way it's very tasty!
Learn how to coupon, find all the best deals first, network, and join in on the fun with other like minded folks on the Swappin' Spoons Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment