Monday

Eat From the Pantry Challenge: My Goals and Plans


Have you ever just cooked from your pantry---not going to the store at all, using what you have on hand, did I mention NOT GOING TO THE STORE at all! Just wondering?
.
My husband has said many times that we need to use everything in our pantry before we head to the store again, we have come close but always end up going to buy meat to go with those things that are in our pantry; and I have NEVER done this for a month, much less be challenged too.
.
So when I saw that Money Saving Mom and Fish Mama were co-hosting an Eat From the Pantry Challenge I was totally excited. I am also really excited about joining many other bloggers in doing this challenge, looking through your ideas and recipes.
.
To be perfectly honest, I'm still not exactly sure at this point how I am pulling this off because I've never done something like it before....did I mention that I have NEVER done this before.
.
Here are my goals:
  • I am making a list of everything that I have in my pantry (and I am checking it twice )
  • I need to make this fun---we are a family of six
  • I need to make these meals tasty---so no one gets bored
  • I am only planning a trip to the grocery store 3 times in the month of January---gasp(for milk, eggs, fresh fruit and veggies)
  • I am planning ONLY to spend $100 for the whole month --double gasp!

I am going to try my hardest to make it a whole month and I want you to join in this challenge with me. Set your own rules; try it for week, two weeks...just try it. I am doing this for the number one reason because I think that it will be FUN...and not to mention all the money that we will be saving.

I will be updating you each week with what I have been coming up with, OR if I have gone to the store, what I bought, AND how much I have spent; remember this challenge is from January 1 - January 31, 2010...

.

8 comments:

  1. Have I ever not gone to the store at all? Yes, I have--for over a year. Then, the next year we didn't get much either.

    Here's how it was for us:

    http://theprudenthomemaker.com/LivingonourFoodStorage.aspx

    By the way, you can buy your eggs for the month now; the American Egg Board says that eggs ae good for 4-5 weeks past the expiration date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, The Prudent Homemaker,
    I did not know that about the eggs; thanks for sharing! It is neat that you shared your link here tonight because last night I came across your site and read your story---wow! I am not sure where I actually found your link at---it was on another blog.
    Happy New Year!
    ~Rebecca---swappinspoons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies, I don't have an actual up and running blog... have tried in the past but my life is so diversified that I can't decide on a real 'theme'. I am also going to do the challenge and I am so excited and scared. Any tips on ways to keep it interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladies,

    I don't have an up and running blog but I do read several of you on a regular basis. I am so excited to do this challenge but am a bit scared of failing too. I plan to shop once a week on Tuesdays when my youngest is in preschool. That means I will have to do my couponing on Mondays and buy only what is free or so cheap it feels free as well as milk, fruit & veggies (clearanced if possible!) We live in a small town of 5k with one grocery store and a super WalMart so I will also do one trip to the Bread outlet in a larger store next week since the family will be there for dental appointments already. Do you have any tips on keeping this fun?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello MKala,
    swappinspoons here :)

    To keep this fun, I plan on involving my children and let them come up with one night's dinner---just once a week. I am kinda worried about my hubby though, because he commented at lunch today that he didn't know about all this...hmm :-)

    Set your on rules, have fun with it! Remember NO ONE can fail at this; this is just to help us all save our money, and for us to try something new because we have NEVER done this before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hubby sounds like my hubby! He looks through the pantry and fridge and complains theres nothing to eat. Although I just got home from the store! This'll be a fun month for all of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the challenge! I'm ready to dive in starting tomorrow... Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete