Saturday

1,000 Ways to Save Money - Part 14

If you missed part 13, then go here to check it out.
See all my '1000' ways of saving money then go here.

Happy day after Christmas! I hope that you all had a wonderful Christmas with your family and friends. I am dedicating this section of saving money at the supermarket...I know you are all probably stuffed from all the yummy dishes that you have eaten the past couple of days, but grocery shopping has to begin again eventually so here are some tips that I do to make sure that I do not over spend.
.
I am always trying to save money whenever I go to the grocery store. I use my coupons faithfully, but there are other ways that you can save. Here is what I do when I go grocery shopping.
.
#73 I NEVER go grocery shopping while I am hungry.
.
#74 Check yourself out:
Checkout lines are stocked with high-calorie sweets. Using the self-checkout line lowers impulse buys (especially when shopping with your children ... or your husband...I love you Phillip!).
Work the edges: The dairy case, produce, and meats and seafood are all found around the edges of the market, while the inner aisles have things that come in boxes, bags, or cans. I consider the inner aisles all to be highly processed foods--and the less time you spend in there, the better.
Brew your own coffee: Instead of buying coffee from Starbucks, McDonald's, or the cafeteria at work, brewing your own coffee can save you over $800 a year....unless of course you have a coupon and can get a GREAT deal on your coffee or get if you can get it for FREE, then by all means INDULGE!
.
#75 Avoid quickies:
When I used to make "quick trips" to the store I would always pick up more than I had originally went in the store for resulting in spending more. Instead, I plan carefully now and I keep a grocery list going all week and I make notes throughout the week about what I need. Then when it is time for me to go to the store I have my list all carefully planned out....and I do mean carefully...it took me a week!
.
#76 Bulk up:
Discount clubs are great cost-saving alternatives, even if you have to pay a fee to join. Focus on items that you use a lot and that won’t spoil, like paper products and frozen foods AND YOU CAN USE COUPONS AT DISCOUNT CLUBS. While I have gotten some good deals at warehouses you really need to check your local grocery because your local grocery will put things on sale (a smaller quantity(not in bulk)) cheaper than you can get at the warehouse; AND if use coupons then it is even a sweeter deal.
.
#77 GO SHOPPING WHEN YOU ARE HAPPY:
I am serious! I have gone shopping whenever I have been sad or even mad and I have spent so much money. For those of you that know me, you know that I am a really happy person most of the time. Try it! DO NOT go shopping when you are sad and watch your savings INCREASE!
.
#78 I ALWAYS USE COUPONS:
I try not to buy anything with out a coupon. I shop stores that will double my coupons (at least up to 50 cents)

#79 Buy day old meat:
I have gotten some really great deals by doing this.
I always look for marked down milk...once my husband came home with 4 gallons of milk all marked down to $0.99 each. They were marked down because the date was going out on them. There are six people in our family so there was NO problem in drinking/using the milk right up.
.
#80 Shop alone
If money is tight, then go shopping by yourself. I have done this several times and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Now don't get me wrong, I love my husband and children going with me; but if you only have a small amount of money to spend---grab your list and coupons and head out to the store. I some times spend hours just walking through the store looking for deals. I look to see what is on sale/markdown and dig through my coupons to see if I can sweeten the stores deal even more! It is easier to do this with out those little distractions---like mama look a this, oh this is cute, is this a good deal, OR my favorite---"mama do you have a coupon for this?"

No comments:

Post a Comment