It's an easy recipe to follow and I had most of the ingredients already in my pantry. I can see this becoming a favorite in our home. You could have these for breakfast, brunch, afternoon or late night snack. Just because the word "Breakfast" is in the recipe name doesn't mean you can't eat it at other times of the day!
With it being the peak of berry season, you have so many options. I chose to top mine with blueberries and raspberries, but blackberries would be good too or strawberries, my husband loves strawberries, so that is what I topped his with!
For the non-berry lover in your family ( I have one!), you can top theirs with just some Greek yogurt, drizzle some honey across the top and a dash of nutmeg!
Here's the recipe:
Cinnamon Breakfast Squares with Yogurt and Berries
*Prep Time: 15 minutes
*Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup Honey Bunches of Oats Morning Energy Cinnamon Crunch cereal
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter, cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 container (6 ounces) Greek yogurt
- 3 cups fresh berries (blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries) or favorite fruit of choice
- Honey, for drizzling
- Nutmeg or Cinnamon, for sprinkling
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly butter and flour an 8-inch square pan, or coat lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the cereal, flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cinnamon. While stirring, slightly crush the cereal using the back of the spoon or rubber scraper; set aside.
- In another bowl, beat eggs until well blended. Add milk, melted butter and vanilla, and mix well. Combine egg mixture with flour mixture. Pour batter (it will be thin) into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until it is set when lightly touched in the middle. Remove from oven and set on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- To serve, cut into 6 equal-sized bars and place on serving plates. Top each square with a dollop of Greek yogurt, surround with fruit, and drizzle with honey. Sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon and serve immediately. Serves 6.
Disclosure: I was given product for this recipe, but all opinions and pictures are mine. Read my disclosure policy here.