Thursday

How do you use Tomatoes? Ever tried Green Tomato and Lemon Marmalade?


It is getting to be that time of year, when fresh produce is popping up everywhere. One of my favorite vegetables are home grown tomatoes! Nothing beats them!

As a child, I remember my mom eating sliced tomatoes, with a little salt and pepper, for lunch, as a snack, late night snack--just about anytime of the day actually! I guess that is where I got my taste for home grown tomatoes. The ones you buy in the store---are, um--just plain blah!

While living up north, several people gave us some of their tomatoes the first summer; the second year we decided to grow our own tomatoes, we had 3 stalks and oh my how they produced! On top of that, we still had people giving us tomatoes--so we had a bountiful supply.

Tomatoes do NOT keep for long and I hate for anything to go to waste, so I had to come up with different ways to use my tomatoes, other than slicing them. I searched the Internet, grabbed my cookbooks and started researching.

I tried canning some, but that was a disaster!

I however did discover a few recipes that were out of this world and I got them from my cookbook diary that my mom and Aunt Virgie put together for me---they started it two weeks after I was born.

Here is one recipe for tomatoes that I just love and I think that you will too---I hope!

Green Tomato and Lemon Marmalade
Ingredients:
2 lemons, thinly sliced and seeded, slices quartered (2 cups)
1 1/2 pounds green tomatoes (about 4 large tomatoes), cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 cup water

Directions:
Place lemon slices in a medium pot, and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, and drain.
Place lemons, tomatoes, sugar, lemon juice, salt, and water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves, and cook until lemon slices are translucent and syrup has thickened, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool. Cover, and refrigerate for up to 1 week.

Serve with crackers and a hard cheese, like cheddar.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment