Tuesday

~Baked Ziti Recipe~ FREEZES GREAT!


One of my children gave me a cookbook for Christmas and it had this recipe in it.
I was so excited to find this recipe, not because it is good, but because it was put in the book by my friend Kristy B., who went to be with the Lord in the early part of 2009.
.
~Baked Ziti Recipe~1 lb. dry ziti pasta
1 onion chopped
1 lb. lean ground beef
2 (24 oz) jars spaghetti sauce
8 oz. Provolone cheese, sliced
1 1/2 c. sour cream
8 oz. Mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 T. Parmesan cheese, grated

*Bring a large pot of lightly salted to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes: drain.
*In a large skillet, brown onion and ground beef over medium heat. DRAIN; add Spaghetti sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
*Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
*Butter a 9 by 13 inch baking dish.
Then layer as follows:
1/2 of ziti, provolone cheese, sour cream, 1/2 sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese, and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheeses are melted.
Then eat :)

I always make a couple of extra pans and stick in the freezer to pull out later in the month or so. It freezes great, just amke sure you use heavy duty foil.
.
If you try it I would love to know how you like it; so please leave a comment.
.

15 comments:

  1. Yum! We love baked ziti, but I haven't made it in ages!! Your recipe looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious. A nice change-up to traditional boiled pasta. Thanks for sharing.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh oh!! I made this the other day when I saw the recipe guest posted on amysfinerthings.com by Kathy from houseofhills.wordpress.com (amysfinerthings.com/batch-cooking)

    The recipe was easy and tasty. I used cottage cheese and sour cream. I'm glad because the sour cream has a lot of bite. I froze 2 batches for dinners later in the month.

    Allie

    ReplyDelete
  4. *angels sing*

    I have never tried provolone in my ziti, but I see so many recipes using it. Maybe I should give it a try! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made this last night...my family loved it. It reminds me of lasagne but much easier to make. Will definately make this again. Thank you very much.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm new to freezer cooking, and am wondering if you cook this recipe before you freeze it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jenny
    Swappin' Spoons here:
    Prepare as directed above---except do NOT bake, cover with foil and freeze. That is how I do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made 2 batches of this last month for the freezer. Brought out 1 for dinner tonight. Delicious!!! My boyfriend and I almost ate the whole dish. Will keep in the freezer cooking rotation for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A family favorite in our house. Just had it 3 nights ago!!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Made this to freeze before I had my baby and we ate off of this for a few days. I really appreciated it! Making it again tonight for guests. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mommy_D, Congratulations on your new little bundle of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm looking forward to trying this because every ziti I've ever tried to freeze comes out dry. I think the sour cream will solve this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. New to freezer cooking:
    Do you thaw when ready to cook or can you put it in the oven frozen? If frozen, how long do you cook?

    TIA
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jessica,

      I pull mine out and put straight into the oven. Once the pan is in the oven I then turn the oven on 350 degrees and bake for an hour. :)

      Delete