Sunday

Eat from the Pantry/ Freezer Challenge---Making a dent



So this is day 17 of this challenge, how are you doing? We are making a dent in our pantry (actually cabinets). We have actually ran out of a couple of things like SUGAR. We went four days without it, sure I could have went to the store but I wanted to see how long we could go with out it; and I must say 4 days was it. Now notice the Nesquik chocolate powder on the top right shelf---hubby decided to stop by the store, on the way home, and bought some---on his own... with NO COUPON. LOL!
We have made a BIG dent in our cereal...remember all those boxes of opened cereal that I discovered at the beginning of this challenge; now we are down to just these.
On the morning of day 3 (without sugar) I remember that I had these little packets of muffin mixes, that I had bought back in November and decided to use them. I only had to add 1/2 of milk to each packet and it was a nice sweet treat.
The muffins didn't last long, well I did make the children (and myself--ahem!) save a few for their daddy to have with his lunch. They were really good.
Back in November I stocked up on Evaporated milk---I had a coupon and there was an awesome sale at my local Bi-Lo; so I stocked up! Now I just need to come up with some recipes to use them in. I am planing on using one can to make a couple of pumpkin pies, but am unsure what I will use the others for. Someone told me that they use evaporated milk when making mashed potatoes, so I may try that. They said that it gives the potatoes a richer taste. Have any of you ever tried it?

Here is what I am serving up this week in our home.
Snack Ideas:
Cheese and crackers
yogurt
granola bars,
raw veggies and ranch
smoothies
Breakfast:
Cereal x 2
Grits x 3
fruit
Banana, Pineapple, Yogurt shake---this is so yummy. (I will post recipe soon)
.
Lunch:
Cheese quesadillas'
fruit
Ham sandwiches---chips
Scrambled egg sandwiches
.
Dinner:
Roast, potatoes, green beans, pop up rolls
Hamburger Helper, veggies, and rolls
Cheesy rice, potato wedges, mac and cheese
Beefaroni, salad, and corn
.
Friday night---Mammaw and Pappaw are coming and we are going out to eat----YIPEE!!! We have not seen them in almost a year (11 months) and we are so excited about their visit!
.
So how are you doing? Do you have your menu planned out for this week, if not then why don't you?
.

7 comments:

  1. i use evaporated milk ALL the time. pretty much any baking that calls for milk, i use the evaporated stuff. :-) really yummy in breads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used evaporated milk to make "cream of" soups!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i use evaporated milk with lots of things as well I always have it on hand. I love the menu you planned as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love using evaporated milk with pudding mixes it makes for some rich and creamy pudding! :) click on the link to find how I do it... http://glimpseofsonshine.blogspot.com/2007/11/lunch-box-dessert.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used evaporated milk instead of cream in mashed potatoes and casseroles. Yum!

    And raisin carrot salad reminds me of my mom. She makes that and raisin broccoli salad. Yum again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We regularly live from our pantry, so we have quite a bit of evaporated milk as well as powdered milk. Here are some of the recipes we use it in:
    http://theprudenthomemaker.com/powderedmilk.aspx

    Also, you can just add an equal amount of water to the milk (1 1/2 cups) to make whole milk, and use it in place of milk in any recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a fantastic recipe for Cream of Potato Soup that uses evaporated milk. I usually double the recipe so I use 2 cans each time I make it. This is definitely a cheap soup to make and oh so yummy.

    http://bricknerfam.blogspot.com/2009/08/got-food.html

    ReplyDelete