Thursday

1,000 ways to Save Money - Part 5

WOO-HOO!! I am early this week!

*If you missed part 4, you can go here http://tinyurl.com/nbpjsp

#33 Re-use your items
I re-use wax paper all the time. After baking cookies I lay them on wax paper. After they cool I place them in the cookie jar, fold the wax paper up, store it and re-use it the next time. I also re-use zip lock bags (unless I put onions in them, then I toss them) and foil.


#34 Use less of what it calls for
What I mean by this is, while in the kitchen if a recipe calls for 2 cups of sugar I only use 1 1/2 cups. When I make sweet tea, my husband says that 1 1/4 cup is just the right amount of sugar...I only use 1 cup. For my banana bread I only use 1/2 cup instead of 3/4 cup. Your teethe will thank you for cutting back on sugar and besides you CANNOT tell a difference in taste.
Some things that I have cut back on are: sugar, salt, garlic, and meat. If I find a great deal on Hamburger Helper, I will fix it using only half the amount of meat. It calls for one pound of hamburger meat, I have found out that a 1/2 pound works just as well.


#35 Do not buy cookbooks, books, or magazines
You can get a lot of these for free or really cheap; just watch my blog and whenever I come across one of these freebies I will always share it with my readers. Plus you can always check them out at the Library! The Library is full of EVERYTHING...books of course, magazines, cookbooks, DVD's, CD's, movies and more things that you can check out for FREE!


#36 Use what you already have
It is back to school time at our house, and I went out and bought a few REALLY cheap school supplies. I did not buy crayons, colored pencils, or folders because we have plenty left from last year. Matter of fact two of my children are using folders that are three years old (gasp)! It's OK they will survive and besides they think that is kind of cool that the folders have lasted this long.


#37 Grow your own garden
If you have the room, then grow your on garden. If you do not have enough space for a garden then visit your local Farmer's Market---but be careful of the prices that they ask you to pay. Before going to the Farmer's Market you should already know what the going rate is on fruit and veggies at your local grocery store. If the farmer's Market produce is higher, just kindly tell them and 9 times out of 10 they will meat the price. For them coming down on the price I would recommend going back every week and befriending them. It couldn't hurt! But be sincere about it and really become friends with them. You might could even take them some homemade bread in return for some veggies...never hurts to try and trade!

***OK, now it is your turn! I would love to hear from you on how you save money.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment